Wednesday, September 22, 2010

an ankle update

So for everyone who didn't already know, I've been injured for a while. It started out as a simple ankle twist, which I thought was no big deal at the time..and DEFINITELY not something I thought I would be resting for a month! We were doing agility ladders and as I was moving laterally it twisted. Assuming it was no big deal, I diligently did some ankle ABC's and got back in line. No biggie, right? wrong. 

A few days later it was still bothering me so I went to therapy. The physio never really said exactly what was wrong, just that it was nothing serious and that I would be back in action after I rested and received some therapy. The diagnosis pretty much equated to "too many little ankle twists have finally added up to be a big aggravation". Just like in America, I did some ultrasound, stem, and laser therapy, as well as deep tissue calf massages (part of me wishes my whole body was hurt so I could take advantage). 

During the time of treatment, we had our first tournament. Luka told me that I would be dressing out in my jersey, but only for the journalists that would be there. I ended up sitting on the balance beams that are on the side of the court, and cheering on the team. It was frustrating, but I was glad that the Luka and Nikola (the club owner) were allowing me to rest for more important matches and not overly exert myself with a possibility of making it worse. 

The next step in the diagnosis process was to go to a doctor in the capital, Podgorica. We ended up at the Klinik Crne Gore (the health clinic which is the free hospital for all citizens). Another girl on my team also had an ankle issue that needed an XRay, so Nikola took this opportunity to get me in to see a doctor. I was told that because my ankle was so tender there was a possibility it had a fracture. I was escorted to the XRay room. The plan was for the doctor to look at them as soon as they were done, but he was called in to surgery in the meantime. So instead, we took our XRays and went to lunch with the coach from the volleyball team in Podgorica.

We went back to the doctor and by this time I swear I had nubs for fingernails. Of course I was preparing for the worst and had already made up a plan of packing up and moving back to America (worrying too much is one of my character flaws, you all know this). Anyway, the diagnosis was good. He said the same thing the physio said, and the remedy was an injection. INJECTION?! IN MY ANKLE?! doesn't that just sound painful?? Anyway, the plan was that he would come administer the shot in Bar two days later. Well that day came and passed, with no injection. I was relieved because my ankle was starting to feel better on its own! I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had already started practicing again, my ankle wasn't in constant pain. Things were looking up!

...until I was woken up this morning with the news that it was time to get the injection! NOOOOOO! I had to go back to Podgorica and the reason for the delay was because the medicine had to be shipped here from Belgrade (which made me feel pretty important!). Anyway, it was here and so it was back to the fingernail chewing. I could only imagine them accidentally shooting it into the bone, or something equally as scary. Ever since my ridiculous epidural experience I'm not too fond of needles that are serving any other purpose other than giving me a simple flu shot. I got two injections with a moderate amount of fluid in each, that will "repair the damage to the tissue" (so says the doctor). Then I was bandaged and sent on my way. Here's the aftermath:

beautiful, right?

Supposedly this is the end of my ankle problems! The medicine will help restore the tissue and knock out anything that is abnormal, like scar tissue. AWESOME! The final advice from the doctor was to use it like nothing was wrong. This was great timing because we have a friendly match in Podgorica tonight. (Kind of silly that I will be making two trips to the same city today, but sometimes I think the only way this country operates is in a confusing, backwards way). I wish I could have just stayed to check out the city (considering the only part I have seen is the hospital, and the inside of one restaurant), but there will be plenty of time for me to go on a day off...


2 comments:

  1. k wtf!!! why is it all scabbed and huge like that? did you scrape it when you fell??? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an intense photo layney :( it makes me wish i would have been there to hold your hand. I hope its doing better now. oh and this also made me miss your dinosaur feet lol

    ReplyDelete