Thursday, February 24, 2011

eating etiquette

Things around here have been reallllllly slow, because the weather has taken a turn for the worse. It's super windy and rainy again, and the forecast doesn't really show much change for a few days. Lauren and I were finally getting in the groove of going places and making our days a little more varied, but now we're once again doomed to the indoors. That explains why my poor little blog looks like its been all but abandoned. I do have one exciting update though!! Because Lauren and I have so much time to kill, we have lots of time to spend at Palma. We were talking about how we eat very strange and got on the conversation of eating with a fork and knife. My previous method was to designate a "fork hand" depending on what the meal was. For example, if I had nothing to cut, I could assign my fork to my left hand. Conversely, if there was something (anything) that needed to be cut, my fork defaulted to my right hand so that I could use the knife with my dominant hand. We realized this was a slightly less than efficient way to eat so I have vowed to better myself.

Three days later, and I can gladly report that I now use my nondominant hand for cutting, so no matter what the meal is I can eat with my fork in my left hand. It almost feels natural. I know everyone is just teeming with excitement over this new skill I have, and I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm. I guess this is just a little example of things you find to entertain yourself when there's not much else...

ahem...sidenote: upon reading an article about proper eating and usage of utensils, I realize I was actually doing it right. The verdict is that the nondominant hand should be doing all of the forking, while the dominant hand is knifing. (yes, I just made those into verbs). Bummer! All of those meals wasted!! At least I can now say I am a competent ambidextrous eater

No comments:

Post a Comment