Tuesday, March 8, 2011

dan žena

Today as we were walking to Palma, there were tons of street vendors selling flowers. Some had neat little rows of potted plants, but most just had buckets with single flowers, either red roses or carnations. When I asked Maja why this was happening, she said "You know. It is for 8 of March. Holiday for woman." I then told her I had no idea what she was talking about, and Lauren and I looked at each other equally confused. Then she said "You know. This is in all world. For woman because for maybe 200 year very many have how you say riot and now for all woman you have holiday. You buy flower for your mom and now because I woman, man can buy for me." Ummm, what?! We definitely don't celebrate this in America, and if we do, it's much different than here in Europe.

I came home to figure it out and indeed, we also have this holiday... International Woman's Day. Turns out we just celebrate it a little differently. Our holiday goes a little more unnoticed, but here it is a big tradition to wake up and buy flowers for your mother, grandmother, daughter, and any other important women in your life. The holiday started when women protested for equality, and is annually celebrated with different themes. For a video that explains this well, click this link! (then just press play). Also, for a much cheesier youtube video, here ya go: 


Happy International Women's Day, everyone!!


Update!!:
When we got to practice Luka wished us all a Happy Women's Day and in my head I sarcastically said "oh, why didn't you buy us all flowers?? haha" ...but low and behold. Rajko the knight in shining armor comes in with a flower for each of us. Such a precious moment to add to my Montenegro memories.

(I guess I should also mention that I'm becoming a bit nostalgic because I am leaving so soon. At the very most I only have about a month left of playing here and then my parents come to whisk me away. I'm starting to realize how much I really have grown and adapted to the way of life, the language, and the people here)

No comments:

Post a Comment