When we got there we took the hike (literally) up to our hostel, dropped our things off, and started the sightseeing immediately. I had lots planned for that first day, but the lady at the hostel said it would be impossible to get that entire list covered. We took her advice to cross some things off and then decided we could add more if we had more time. (Little did we know that we were completely underestimated on our site seeing abilities). We headed back across the bridge near the train station, into the Old City where the famous attractions are.
First we planned to see the two main mosques: Sultanhamet (the Blue Mosque) and Hagia Sofia. We quickly realized that we wouldn't be able to enter for two reasons: a) it was prayer time, and b) we didn't have a head covering. There was another site close by, so we decided to come back later.
So with the adjusted plan, the Basilica Cistern was the first stop on the list. The pictures I am about to post really don't do it justice at all. Basically, it is an underground pit where rain water and other water is collected. It has tons of pillars and lights (anyone who is a Bachelorette fan might remember when Ali went on a date with someone in one of these and they sat on a little floating thing). Anyway, we spent some time in there looking around. I wouldn't say it was anything overly special, but definitely something unique and worth seeing.
There was a hole in one of the pillars, and if you could put your thumb in and twist your hand all the way around you were granted one wish. I think I did it!
After we left there we reconquered the mosques. When we got into the Blue Mosque, I quickly discovered it was not at all what I expected. It had red carpet, HUGE chandeliers, and more blue tiles than you could imagine (hence the name, I'm sure). The interior was incredibly plain and there was a roped off section which was dubbed as the "women's section". We spent some time looking in-depth at the tiles, but other than that there wasn't much to see. I think the "wow factor" was just in it's size and tile work.
| this place was ENORMOUS! |
| its hard to tell that most of these tiles are blue, but the tilework was so intricate and pretty |
![]() |
| with my "head covering" aka hood |
After we left here, we walked just right across the street to the other main mosque called Hagia Sofia. It isn't a functioning mosque anymore, but is instead just a museum. Lauren and I both agreed that this building was NOT appealing to us. The outside looked very old and mismatched...not what I would expect from perhaps the most famous mosque in the world. As we entered, we learned a little more about the history and how it was once a church before it was converted to a mosque. The interior was pretty similar to the Blue Mosque, although it had lots more artwork. My favorite part were these huge circular paintings, each inscribed with significant words written in Arabic. My camera didn't really want to cooperate with me as I was taking pictures of them, so unfortunately I didn't get any pictures. We continued to walk around and look at the rest of the two-storied mosque and appreciated the paintings, mosaics, and views of the city from the upper windows.
| loved those lights! this is the first floor, facing the front |
| these tile mosaics were crazy! the tiles were sooooo small! |
| the outside. told you it wasn't very pretty... |
I feel so lucky to have seen things that are so far away from home. I'm so glad I got the opportunity to see the mosques because they definitely had a different sort of beauty. Throughout my stay I definitely learned to appreciate both the modesty and simplicity of these places of worship.


No comments:
Post a Comment