Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Team Dinner in Ada Bojana

Tonight our owner, Nikola, wanted to take us to his friend's restaurant in Ada Bojana. He has been bragging about how good this guy's seafood restaurant is and has been promising me and Lauren he would take us there someday. Well that day was today. Our whole team went and it was quite the adventure. First of all, I would like to apologize for not bringing my camera along. Usually I always have it, but for some reason didn't want to keep up with it tonight. It would have made this a million times better, but oh well.

On the way down there Lauren and I went in Nikola's car which is always complete with lots of music and crazy driving, never a dull moment. We had to slow down a few times for herds of various animals. The first pack was sheep, so Nikola proceeded to pretend he was their herd dog by barking out the window. It actually kinda worked and they moved enough for us to get the car through. Next, there were some cows but they were a lot less in our way so we were able to pass them.

On the way there Nikola was explaining that this restaurant is on the border of Albania and is on a sandy island, made by two rivers meeting up with the sea. He also told us that in the summer Ada Bojana is one of the most popular nudist colonies in all of europe. Perfect! Once we got there we had to drive over a few bridges and through lots of trees and brush to get to the restaurant, which was right on the river and we could see where it let out to the sea.

All of the houses in Ada Bojana are on the river and also on stilts. It was really cool and made for a really pretty atmosphere. It was definitely something I had never seen. I'm glad we were finally able to go. Once we got there we got fish soup (knowing my dislike for seafood, this is when things got a little dicey), then they brought out the hugest platter of seafood. I've really never seen anything like it...nor have I wanted to. I was a good girl and tried everything because some of it was really exotic and I knew I probably wouldn't have a chance to eat much of it in the near future. These are the things I tried (all of which I disliked, but I was a good sport about it): whole mini-squids, octopus leg, rice flavored by squid ink (it was jet black), and a few other rices with circular shapes of seafood. GROSS, but I'm glad I did it.

Then we thought that was it so Lauren and I went out on the deck that looked over the sea/river and saw the sunset. It was really pretty, and even if I had my camera I don't think you'd be able to see quite how nice it was. We were then called back inside because they were dishing up the second round of fish. It was a HUGE fish (no kidding probably about 1.5 feet or so) and it was steamed with potatoes and spinach. I opted for a steak ...by this time I had reached my limit of pushing the taste envelope... we ate that and sat around for another hour or so just talking and Lauren and I planned our trip a little more because we're realizing how quickly it's coming up! Finally Nikola gave a toast and told us how proud of us he was for this past season and that we still need to work hard to give it the proper ending.

It was a really nice night and was fun to spend time with the team (even when I don't understand a majority of what is happening at any given time). Hopefully we win our match on Saturday and secure our first-place finish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment