Monday, August 23, 2010

Budva! My first exploration

Well, just a quick update before I go to the market. Yesterday I went with Marija and Maja to Budva, which is about an hour away on a bus. We left at around 2 in the afternoon and when we got there it was in the height of the day. Tons of people were all around the beach and the energy was much more energetic than in Bar. Because it was the weekend, there were tons of people from all over Montenegro and the summertime merchants lined the streets.

The old town of Budva was absolutely gorgeous. It was what I pictured all of Montenegro to be like. Stone buildings that seemed ancient with hardly enough room for three people to walk side-by-side. It was unusually quiet because there were no cars or motorcycles and everyone was just taking a quiet stroll through the streets as the sun was setting.

Budva was a much more populated city and seemed to have lots of entertainment. When we first arrived we ate pizza in a little italian restaurant in Stari Grad (old town which was built in the 6th century). It was a tiny place tucked away and we found it after walking through the maze-like streets for a while. The pizza was delicious (they have the art of pizza MASTERED here) and then we spent a few hours laying on the beach, walking on the boardwalk and perusing the little stands where local merchants were selling a wide variety of things.


Our tentative plan was to sleep in Budva, but little did I know that when Maja and Marija were talking about spending the night it was their plan to sleep on the beach! Not really my style, but I was up for a new experience. However, as the night got later Marija wasn't really in the mood to be homeless for a night so we ended up going home. I was originally going to explore Budva on my own, but I'm so glad I had such good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment