So the past couple days (excluding today) we have been having CRAZY storms, complete with flooding and power outages. It started out as a typical lazy day, knowing I didn't really want to leave the house because there was a decent amount of rain. I spent my time just laying around watching some TV and surfing the internet (typical daily activities). Then, around lunch time I raided my food cabinet and found absolutely nothing. ----you know those times you have been meaning to go to the store for days but just haven't gotten around to it, so you only have bits of everything you dislike? I think there was one pack of saltines, and these really gross oatmeal crackers and some spreadable cheese in the fridge---- BUT, the I remembered Jaci left me a box of funfetti cake. Her parents sent it to her as part of a thanksgiving meal, but she never got around to making it and I inherited it when she left. All of the sudden I was super pumped, because I rounded up some eggs and oil. LET THE BAKING BEGIN! I prepared the batter and put it in the oven...only 30 minutes until I was enjoying a little slice (literally) of home.
ERRRRRRRR... (that's the sound of my cooking coming to a screeching halt) THE POWER WENT OUT MID-BAKE! Great, now what was I supposed to do? I had sudden flashes of me holding a candle lighter under the pan, hoping that it would help bake. Anyway, I took the cake out of the oven and the sides were done (a little doughy, but edible) but the middle was a complete disaster. Complete liquid in the center. NOOOOO! I ended up salvaging the little slivers of edges and consumed them. The power came back on, but only for about ten minutes before I had to leave for practice. Tears almost came from my eyes as I had to throw away Funfetti. I think that's a crime in some states.
So Maja and I take a taxi to practice...you can't imagine how hard it was STILL raining. When we got there, I peeked inside the gym because I remembered we have leaks in the roof and wanted to assess the damage. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw about ten buckets and twenty towels strewn all over the court. Are you serious? How were we going to practice?! Luka said it wasn't leaking anymore because the rain had slightly died down, but we still could only practice on one side of the court where the leaks weren't so major. It was business as usual (for them, for me I was thinking this was the craziest thing ever. Can anyone in the states imagine a half-court practice due to a leaky roof?) and we were doing a hitting drill. The ball was set to me and BAM literally out of nowhere the power is once again cut off. AWESOME! the ball ended up hitting me in the face because I was seriously mid-air when this happened. We were instructed to go put our jackets on and run around to stay warm. We were going to wait it out for 15-20 minutes just to make sure we really had to end practice. Of course, the lights never came back on (and apparently the power was out in the entire city) so Nikola and Luka drove all of the girls home so no one had to walk. It was an eventful night to say the least.
No comments:
Post a Comment