Friday, November 19, 2010

Best (Last-Minute) Decision I’ve Made in a While


The second I found out I had pretty much three days to go somewhere, the cogs in my mind went into overdrive. I went home and abandoned showering, eating, and pretty much everything else while I searched frantically for flights. (Note that by the time I got home it was about 1a.m. and I was hoping for an early early morning flight to maximize my time off).
So for this little trip, my realistic options were to either head somewhere within driving distance and splurge on a few nights in a hotel so I could really explore the area, or head to a few places around Montenegro for little day trips. Even though these are both great ideas, I think you all know I usually think on a bigger scale than this...and also like to create ridiculous situations for myself. So, step one was to think of all of my connections I had with girls playing throughout Europe. The most logical of these were the girls in Italy. They are close enough to be able to get in and out in only three days, but also far enough to be going on a true vacation and getting a few stamps on the passport, which is always an awesome feeling. There are two girls playing in Fondi, which is about an hour and a half out of Rome, and also two girls playing in Reggio di Calabria, which is much more southern and in my neck of the woods. Fortunately, I didn’t have to choose. It was impossible to get down to Reggio Calabria because there was no flight or ferry service. Although I wish I could have seen those girls too, it will give me another reason to get down there on a separate trip. 
There was a flight to Rome that left early the next morning, but because it was such short notice I was supposedly unable to book it. This had me in a panic because I was soooo close. I could taste the gelato and pizza and now I was determined to make this happen. (I think it runs in the Brosky blood that when we get an idea, even if its on a whim at first, we can’t stop obsessing until it becomes a reality). Lynnea, one of the girls in Italy was helping me look for flights and we finally found one. PERFECT! I was leaving in 5 hours for my Italian weekend. I couldn’t have been more excited and I felt so accomplished. Booking a last-minute flight for a little bit less than outrageous...I call it success.

No comments:

Post a Comment