When I got to Rome it was still surreal that this trip was really happening. I even kinda had a thought about my plane crashing because I just couldn’t picture myself actually making it to Italy (weird, I know..) Anyway, I made it safely to Rome and met an awesome lady in the airport who helped me to navigate my way through the train station and airport shuttle tram to get to Fondi. I didn’t have a train ticket so by the time I bought one, I had only a few minutes to get to the next Naples train which was on the same line as Fondi. Perfect, I bypassed a long line, got to the station, and walked right onto the train. I snapped a picture of the big “Roma Termini” station sign and I thought to myself “haha. I win at life. I am going to put this on facebook with a caption that says ‘I am the navigational queen. I mastered Roma Termini, what next?’” (refer to the first picture below) Then, I asked the lady next to me if she knew approximately how long of a ride it would be to my stop so I could rest and know that I wasn’t going to miss the stop. Her response? “Um, this train doesn’t stop in Fondi. You’re on the wrong train” (obviously this cued a panic attack as I pictured myself alone in Naples). She then said “you needed to be on a regional train because that is a small stop, but don’t worry... you can just go one stop further and come back to Fondi”. PHEW! At least it wasn’t as bad as I originally thought, but still. The theory of being the navigational queen was clearly out the window. I went to Formia which was the next stop and planned to take the next train back to Fondi, but fortunately Heather’s manager said they would drive to Formia to get me. This was a relief because now my train confidence was a little bit deflated. We drove about 20 minutes along the sea and arrived at her apartment in Fondi
(this is the part where I'm still optimistic about my transportation skills)
(......and this is the part where I realize my skills have failed me)
better luck next time, layney!
No comments:
Post a Comment